I did a brief search for books at my local public library and am going to keep a running list of resources I want to peruse... My first search was for chickens as a general search (I decided that the public library was more likely to have information readily available on backyard flocks than the university library)--chickens as a general search in any field returned results that were more children's books in the beginning results for whatever reason. I knew if I went further in I was likely to find books that I would deem more in line with what I was looking for, but to save time, I tried searching with chickens as a keyword and go more relevant results.
Practical--for the home flock:
636.5
Author:
Damerow, Gail.
Title:
Storey's guide to raising chickens / Gail Damerow.
Publisher, Date:
Pownal, Vt. : Storey Books, c1995.
Author:
Kilarski, Barbara.
Title:
Keep chickens! : tending small flocks in cities, suburbs, and other small spaces / Barbara Kilarski.
Publisher, Date:
North Adams, Mass. : Storey Pub., c2003.
Author:
Paul, Johannes, 1978-
Title:
Keeping pet chickens : bring your backyard to life and enjoy the bounty of fresh eggs from your own small flock of happy hens / Johannes Paul and William Windham.
Publisher, Date:
Hauppauge, NY : Barron's, 2005.
Musings and philisophical looks:
Author:
Sheasley, Bob.
Title:
Home to roost : a backyard farmer chases chickens through the ages / Bob Sheasley.
Edition:
1st ed.
Publisher, Date:
New York : Thomas Dunne Books, 2008.
Author:
Gurdon, Martin.
Title:
Hen and the art of chicken maintenance : reflections on keeping chickens / Martin Gurdon .
Publisher, Date:
Guilford, Ct. The Lyons Press , 2004.
Kuhlthau's description of the feelings that occur during this part of the process made me consider whether I am in the Exploration stage of her Information Search Process or still really in the Selection stage, because I was so excited and joyful to see the books that I labeled Musings & Philisophical looks. I would guess I am at the further end of selection and beginning of exploration here.
(Carol Kuhlthau. Information Search Process. [Online] 6 September 2008. http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~kuhlthau/information_search_process.htm)
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment