Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wondering

As I was working on choosing my topic, I decided that this project had to be something personal and fun for me. As I mentioned, because we have talked about getting chickens "someday" I wanted to explore the topic more. I have already talked to my sister on and off for a while since she has chickens.

As I wonder, I spend a lot of time in my head coming up with questions. Luckily, I had shared with a friend via email that I was blogging about chickens for my class. He sent this question:
"What kind of chickens? I am happy to host any blog you care to produce!"

Here is my response...which began tracking the list of questions I have been mulling around in my head:
Pet chickens?
The essentials questions so far are:
Which good egg producing chickens are the friendliest—make the best pets?
Where do “easter egg” chickens fall in that spectrum?
Which is more important to me personally – egg production, color of eggs, friendliness of birds or some combination thereof?
What is needed for the proper care of chickens?
How do you build a chicken coop that effectively deters predators?
How about a chicken tractor?
Where is the best place to purchase chickens? How many chickens would be a good starting place?
Where would we locate our chicken coop?
Would our dog really eat the chickens and must we wait until she dies to purchase chickens?
Is it relevant that my father-in-law told me a chicken joke in response to our discussions about Americana aka Easter Egg Chickens?

In sharing my process, I think it is relevant to also share his response back that sent me wondering in another direction for a while and made me smile amidst the stress of a busy job, and a new class--and reminding me that wondering can be great fun:
"I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I truly hope that you find the answer to those questions, and will share with the group. I thought maybe you meant “chicken” in terms of being afraid. Maybe your investigation will turn into allegory?"

I was exploring The Question Mark http://questioning.org, and realized that I was smiling again, because I was thinking and what makes this question worth asking...because it brings me joy and opens my eyes to the possibilities and to what I really enjoy about the thought of having chickens...

No comments: