I'm beginning to understand a bit more about one of the reasons for blogging in educational environments. I am finding it may be a great way to focus and keep my thoughts and readings together as I plan ahead for Project 2. I keep emailing myself ideas and resources I might incorporate, however, then I have to keep those emails straight and separated out of the rest of my day-to-day goings on.
I may post some of my ideas here instead...
http://www.janetsinfo.com/big6info.htm
http://staging.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslpubsandjournals/kqweb/kqarchives/vol32/32n4everhart.pdf
http://www.tessellations.org/
http://www.worldofescher.com/contest/
http://www.mathcats.com/explore/tessellations/tessgallery.html
http://www.ims.k12.nj.us/Webquests/tesselation/tesselation.htm
http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?id=U104
paperquilts
culminating with a guest presentation from:
Ms. Ellison is internationally known as a speaker about integrating art and mathematics and teaching - and uses many of her own intricate mathematical quilts as exemplars. She will speak about more than just simple symmetry and pattern - for example, her works illustrate the Fibonacci sequence, golden rectangle, Pythagorean triples, tessellating tetrominoes, lute of Pythagoras, and much more. Ms. Ellison taught high school mathematics in West Lafayette, Indiana for many years.
Mini-lesson--interviewing guide:
More Info: http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/
Grade 5
Standard 4: Geometry
5.4.6 Identify shapes that have reflectional and rotational symmetry.
Information Literacy Standards
Standard 1, 2, 3
High School Level
Standard 2
Polygons
Students identify and describe polygons and measure interior and exterior angles. They use congruence, similarity, symmetry, tessellations, and transformations. They find measures of sides, perimeters, and areas.
G.2.4 Apply transformations (slides, flips, turns, expansions, and contractions) to polygons to determine congruence, similarity, symmetry, and tessellations. Know that images formed by slides, flips, and turns are congruent to the original shape.
Example: Use a drawing program to create regular hexagons, regular octagons, and regular pentagons. Under the drawings, describe which of the polygons would be best for tiling a rectangular floor. Explain your reasoning.
http://mathforum.org/briston/briston.tessel.html
http://www.delbusto.com/ET670/transtessellations.htm
Math curse by Jon Scieszka would be a great book to pull into the mix
http://fno.org/libskill.html
http://fno.org/aforenet.html
Thoughts about assessment...
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment