Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wishing

As Callison points out, modeling effective use of the information inquiry process is an essential part of the a successful information literacy program (BB, p.9). As I think about my process and how I could turn it into an effective modeling activity for both students and teachers (thanks to Joe), I am pleased with the overall outcome of my inquiry project. I wish that I hadn't felt so rushed at the end, and that I had spent more time with my materials and with primary sources--specifically local farmers. I am thankful that I can use the information that I gathered--and that I have it in a neat format to take the next steps towards raising chickens.

I wish that I were more comfortable with the online organizational tools. I used Gliffy, however, as I mentioned earlier, I really don't like mind mapping--I find it to be a great deal of work and not particularly helpful to my thought processes, although I feel that I have to be open to it, because there are other students who will really gain a great deal from such tools and options. If you would like to see my first attempt at a Gliffy concept map you can see if here: http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/1497849/L.jpg

I keep coming back to the idea of modeling as I reflect on this Project, in Curriculum Connections Harada discusses the importance of teachers being able to model thinking (p. 62). As I discussed in another post, this modeling and helping students develop their questions, is something that I can certainly see using this inquiry project for. One of the most powerful learning experiences I had in the classroom with a group of 9th graders involved teaching and learning with them about Tangrams. They were all certain that they had no math skills and were going to fail in this class with me and my co-teacher, however, I developed lessons around this ancient game I had found materials on to connect with them in learning something new--something I knew nothing about. Through that learning we were able to develop such a strong learning community, because it was clear that we were all learning together--I was not the expert they had viewed me as--I was good at helping come up with the questions to explore, but as far as the puzzles went many of the students had far more expertise.

3 comments:

lcfield2007 said...

You sound like a neat teacher. I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in all those grade school math classes. It always seemed as if the teachers new everything, and all the students were just struggling to stay one step ahead of failing. It is hard to sometimes realize the importance of both students and teachers learning as a team when it is all you can manage to get that little burst of lesson in before having to prepare for the next test. Way to go!

pastmidnite said...

Thank you--I appreciate the kind comment.

As they were all getting ready to take the GQE (graduation qualification exam), we really had to focus on the test, but were lucky enough to have a principal who supported the decision and belief that until we built up this group of students confidence and understanding they weren't going to improve for any of their tests or learn anything of use for their lives!

Joe Pounds said...

Hey! Your Gliffy chart looks like you used a bunch a chicken eggs to organize your information. Intentional? or just one of those joyful coincidences in life?

Your topic has been my favorite to follow. I think of all of us, you did the best job of meeting the requirements of the assignment in terms of topic selection.

We all drifted towards the familiar or the practical. You rode out the rooster until the end. I hope you get your chickens someday. Don't forget to try feeding them a broken egg.