Thursday, September 11, 2008

Webbing & Wiggling...along with some watching and wondering...

As I review materials, read, talk and connect with ideas I had about chickens. I decided today that I needed to see more first hand chicken activity. I have fed my sister's chickens and watered on occasion, but I do not generally gather eggs and I was not a part of the process of them building the chicken coop...actually their house came with the chicken coop.

Youtube is definitely a new way of finding relevant information that I have used only recently, and understand can be very useful...I had thought of it (before viewing much on it) to be more about goofing around and fun. Since exploring it a bit, I have found it to be a very powerful tool for learning new skills that I need the visual demonstration of to master. When I wanted to repurpose some old reader's digest condensed version books into journals I used YouTube to understand how to do the coptic stitch. I could not understand it without the example--the diagrams in books and on other websites did not work for my brain to process the stitch--I needed to see it done.

YouTube fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiA8I_SlRhY&feature=related

I realized today that I really need to work hard on getting to the Weaving stage. Not that I didn't already realize this but I am definitely feeling the pressure now!

4 comments:

Joe Pounds said...

Youtube continues to astound me. What isn't there? I just had a discussion with several teachers at lunch this week about how they would use it if they could. Our school blocks access -- largely due to bandwidth.

I find the due date to be a pain too. It seems to run interference with the joy of searching. I have had to modify my quest. Where would we be without due dates? I think the more specific the assignment, the easier the due date is to swallow. I must admit, however, when a teacher gives a checklist of requirements, my focus shifts from learning to meeting expectations.

Joe Pounds said...

http://flickr.com/photos/hollyandpatrick/2484757660/in/set-72157605007064965/

http://www.eggcartn.com/photos.htm

I know a guy who built a mobile chicken cart to move around his yard. I don't know where he go his plans, but his cart looks something like this.

Joe Pounds said...

www.artisandesignsdtb.blogspot.com/

Here is an even more basic design.

(To find these sites, I first went to YouTube to watch Pastmidnite's link then thought I would search for a chicken eating an egg. It was then I remembered an acquaintance who has a mobile coop down Cincinnati way. I did a Google image search 'mobile chicken cook' Had some luck, but not what a wanted, so I tried thinking like a chicken farmer and did another search 'chicken coop wheels' Just what I needed.)

pastmidnite said...

One of my former co-workers was researching building a chicken tractor so I've seen one of those two photos actually. Those are cool and I've looked at a variety of possible bases driving along the road...I think that perhaps a horse trailor would be a good starting point for making a chicken tractor without too much construction needed. I bet those are expensive though.

I've read that sometimes the chicken tractors are used to move the chickens from area to area of the yard to clean up the weeds, fertilize, etc...

I just talked with a pre-service teacher today about Youtube and she was sharing her lesson planning and how she used Elvis on the tonight show to increase meaning for students in a lesson she was doing on popular culture and the controversy of Elvis. I thought...oh this weeks readings...visual literacy--which articles and pages? only after thinking how impressed I was that she was planning ahead on how to integrate technology in her student teaching placement even though her supervising teacher does not currently use technology in the classroom. She has plans on how to persuade him without making him feel threatened...she has found out how to request the projector and screen and have youtube unblocked for brief periods for specific lessons. Very advanced pre-service teacher with great potential. It made me smile after a very challenging week of work and class.

Thanks for your comments and sharing those chicken coops on wheels mr. chicken farmer.